Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer warned Tuesday that Congress probably won’t grant President Trump permission to take more military action in the Middle East.
Schumer, D-N.Y., told reporters Trump’s decision to bomb a Syrian airbase last week was “appropriate,” but said it was unlikely lawmakers would give him the green light for something much more extensive.
“I think Congress would be opposed to that,” Schumer said, adding lawmakers would be “very, very dubious of large-scale military action we saw in Iraq and dubious of military action generally.”
Schumer said congressional opposition reflects the sentiment on Capitol Hill and among Americans that “our focus has to be at home.”
Top GOP lawmakers in the Senate told the Washington Examiner President Trump is expected to deliver a plan for dealing with Syria soon.
Schumer urged Trump to “come up with a strategy and then come to Congress,” and he added, “I for one, am really worried about getting committed to another land war.”
Lawmakers in both parties have called on President Trump to send a formal plan for dealing with Syria and some are calling for a new debate and vote to authorize the president’s use of military force.
Republicans have not announced plans to take up a new authorizing resolution.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said he would review an authorizing resolution if Trump writes one and sends it to Congress.
