Police have identified the two men killed and one man injured in separate falls from the Bay Bridge. In a six-hour span Monday, one man was pushed off the bridge in a traffic crash and two men jumped into the water. Two other women on the bridge also received medical treatment during the incidents.
Harry Blauvelt, 70, was killed Monday when he was thrown over the bridge after an International truck hit his disabled Honda Accord shortly before 10:30 a.m. Blauvelt, a retired sports journalist for USA Today from Chester, Md., was in front of his vehicle, which struck him and pushed him over the barrier, said Sgt. Jonathan Green, spokesman for the Maryland Transportation Authority police.
The truck driver was identified as 63-year-old Enos Hutton Sage, of Severn. No charges have been filed against Sage, but Green said police are still investigating the crash.
About two hours later, a man jumped from the bridge. He was rescued and survived. Police identified him as 21-year-old John Anthony Pietropaoli III, of Owings. He is listed in stable condition, Green said.
About three hours after that, shortly before 4 p.m., police said 38-year-old John David Stringfellow, of Salisbury, leaped from the bridge. He was pulled from the water and taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A woman who witnessed the morning traffic crash suffered an unrelated medical emergency around the time of the accident. Police said Sandra Elizabeth Crutchley, 42, of Centreville, Md., was treated and released Monday. A woman who had been in the car with Stringfellow was taken to a hospital for treatment of chest pains. Green said her name and condition were not available Tuesday.
