Syrian refugee in Germany kills pregnant woman with machete

German police arrested a 21-year-old Syrian refugee Sunday for killing a pregnant woman with a machete and hurting two other people in the southern city of Reutlingen, according to multiple reports.

Authorities said the assailant acted alone and they do not believe the attacks to be connected to terrorism.

The suspect attacked two women and a man at 4:30 p.m. local time near a bus station. One of the women died from her wounds and a local newspaper reported she had been pregnant.

“The attacker was completely out of his mind. He even ran after a police car with his machete,” a witness told news outlet Bild. A civilian driver took down the suspect and he was taken into custody.

A police spokesman said the man had applied for asylum in the European country but had a record of previous violent outbursts. Officials have not shared information about when the suspect first arrived in Germany or other details about his background.

The attack is the third violent incident committed against civilians in Germany and the fourth in western Europe over the past two weeks.

Related Content