DOT secretary threatens to shut down DC Metro

If the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority doesn’t fix the D.C. Metro system soon, the federal government may take drastic measures.

“I would have no hesitation to shut down the system” if safety of Metro doesn’t improve, Transportation Department Secretary Anthony Foxx told a roundtable of reporters Tuesday.

WMATA announced last week it would be launching a year-long repair program to Metro’s tracks and ties, but Foxx hinted that it may not be enough. The Federal Transit Administration, for example, said Saturday that federal inspectors must be allowed total access to the Metro system to avoid a shutdown or reduced funding.

Last week, the stations at Federal Center and Capitol South were closed after a smoke problem. Federal inspectors were then denied access to a tunnel at Federal Center, Foxx said.

“We’re not afraid to use the authority we have. This is serious business,” Fox said. “I have great concerns. There is an awful lot of work here to do to correct the problem.”

According to Foxx, Metro’s system uses too much power for the current installed equipment, and that’s a major concern of his department. Federal officials are recommending six-car rather than eight-car trains be used, in addition to lower power use in stations so trains start slower.

How Metro’s own workers follow protocols during an emergency, such as evacuating a station filled with smoke or fire, is also a top concern, Foxx said.

WMATA has been dealing with rail issues for years. A woman died and 90 others were sent to hospitals after smoke filled the tunnel and station at L’Enfant Plaza in January 2015. The entire Metro system was also shutdown in March after a similar smoke incident at the McPherson Square station.

Related Content