Suspect confesses to killing teen, police say

Published April 18, 2008 4:00am ET



An Annapolis man confessed Wednesday to shooting to death a teenager last month in the Robinwood community, Annapolis police said.

Tyron Montray McGowan, 18, was arrested in an upstairs bedroom at his house on the 14000 block of Tyler Avenue and later admitted to killing Kwame Johnson, 17, on March 16 on the 1300 block of Tyler Avenue, police said.

“He admitted to the shooting, but he didn?t really get into explaining the motivation behind it,” police spokesman Hal Dalton said.

McGowan is charged with first- and second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault and handgun violations, police said.

Dalton said McGowan and Johnson might have known each other from Robinwood and may be distant relatives.

The shooting could have occurred during a personal dispute, because “there was some indication that words were exchanged before the shooting, but nobody could be specific,” Dalton said.

Witnesses were key in solving the homicide, which was the city?s fourth this year.

“There were a number of people out there when it happened, and some individuals knew him as the shooter,” Dalton said.

“People are sometimes scared to talk to us and put themselves in danger, so they wait until things cool down a bit.”

Johnson, of the 2000 block of Forest Drive in Annapolis, was pronounced dead at the scene after Robinwood residents reported hearing shots fired around 11:20 p.m., Annapolis police said.

Police don?t believe Johnson?s death is related to the unsolved Feb. 17 shooting death of Timothy Hayes Marsh, 40, of Severna Park, who was found behind the wheel of his silver Acura Integra on the same block of Tyler Avenue.

McGowan is being held at the Anne Arundel Detention Center without bail.

Annapolis has had a total five homicides this year.

[email protected]