Suspect in custody after two shot dead during protests in Kenosha, Wisconsin

A teenage suspect is in custody after two people were killed and another was injured in a shooting that took place during overnight protests in Kenosha, Wisconsin, following the police shooting of Jacob Blake.

Kyle Rittenhouse, a 17-year-old from Antioch, Illinois, is expected to be charged with first-degree intentional homicide, according to police from his home city which is about 15 to 20 miles away from Kenosha. The suspect is being held at a juvenile facility in Illinois pending an extradition hearing to transfer him to Wisconsin. He has been assigned a public defender and will make his first court appearance on Friday, the Associated Press reported.

Earlier in the day, users on social media began to attach Rittenhouse’s name to a man who appeared in videos taken in Kenosha wearing a green shirt, dark pants, and a light tan or white hat. He had a rifle and an orange pack slung around his body.

In one video, the man in the green shirt told the person taking the video, “I’m Kyle, by the way.”

The man who identified himself as Kyle, stood next to other armed men in front of a car dealership, which they said they were protecting.

In what appears to have been the first shooting incident, shots rang out before the man in the green shirt rushed to someone who had been shot in the head. He ran away from the scene shortly thereafter while talking to someone on the phone. As he crossed the screen, someone can be heard saying, “I just killed somebody.”

The man in the green shirt was then chased down. After tripping and falling to the ground, he fired multiple shots. One person appeared to be hit and then fell down on the ground, becoming motionless. Another appeared to be hit in the arm. Later video shows a man with a badly injured arm and first responders rushing to assist him.

After the shots were fired, the man in the green shirt got up and walked away from the scene. More shots can be heard in the video, but it is unclear who fired them. The man then walked toward police vehicles with his hands in the air, but video does not show him being arrested on the scene.

Before the violence began, the man in the green shirt spoke to two reporters.

In talking with the Daily Caller’s Richie McGinniss, who was on the scene and assisted a victim in the first shooting incident, the man said, “People are getting injured, and our job is to protect this business. And part of my job is also to help people. If there’s somebody hurt, I’m running into harms way. That’s why I have my rifle, because I need to protect myself, obviously. But I also have my med kit.”

In another exchange, he told the Blaze’s Elijah Schaffer, “We’re protecting from the citizens, and I just got pepper sprayed by a person in the crowd.”

Schaffer asked, “So you had non-lethal but you didn’t respond?”

“We don’t have non-lethal,” he retorted, then claimed that he was an “EMT” after someone passed by that he thought might need medical assistance.

Police in Kenosha said in an early Wednesday morning press release that two gunshot victims were dead and a third person was transported to the hospital with “serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.”

Related Content