Jan. 5 (Bloomberg) — President Barack Obama’s top spokesman said the U.S. will suspend transfers of Guantanamo terrorist suspect to Yemen.
Yemen is “not capable of handling” them now, Robert Gibbs told reporters at a briefing. “Right now, any additional transfers to Yemen is not a good idea.”
Recommended Stories
Gibbs said inmates slated to go to Yemen from the U.S. prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, could be moved to an Illinois prison in the wake of the Dec. 25 attempt to bomb a Detroit-bound Northwest Airlines flight.
Gibbs said he could not quantify how many additional detainees might be moved to the Thomson Correctional Center, a largely vacant state prison that the federal government wants to acquire to house what had previously been estimated to be about 100 detainees captured overseas in the war against terrorism.
