Fourth member of Congress tests positive for coronavirus

South Carolina Rep. Joe Cunningham became the fourth member of Congress to test positive for the coronavirus.

Shortly after the House passed a $2.2 trillion coronavirus economic relief bill, the 37-year-old Democrat announced he was told by his doctor on Thursday to get tested and learned Friday that he had contracted the virus.

“While my symptoms have begun to improve, I will remain at home until I know it is safe to leave self-quarantine. I will continue to tele-work from home as Congress conducts its ongoing response to this public health crisis and my office will continue its urgent work of serving the people of the Lowcountry,” Cunningham said in a statement.

Cunningham said he began self-quarantining last Thursday after learning he had been in contact with a member of Congress who had tested positive for the coronavirus. Two days prior, the congressman said he lost his senses of smell and taste, symptoms some have associated with people who have been infected by the COVID-19 virus.

The South Carolina lawmaker also touted the $2.2 trillion coronavirus economic relief package that now heads to President Trump to sign. He said it will provide “much needed relief for South Carolina families and small businesses.”

Cunningham is the fourth member of Congress to test positive for the virus. Rep. Ben McAdams, 45, a Democrat representing Utah’s 4th Congressional District, and Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, a Republican representing of Florida’s 25th Congressional District, announced their diagnoses last week. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky has also tested positive for the virus.

More than 575,000 people have been diagnosed with the virus globally, which has led to more than 26,000 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University. Around 127,000 people who have contracted the virus have recovered.

Related Content