US and Mexico agree to block all nonessential travel at shared border, exempting trade

Published March 20, 2020 4:28pm ET



The Trump administration announced on Friday a ban on recreational and tourist travel at the U.S.-Mexico border as a precaution to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

“The United States and Mexico have agreed to restrict nonessential travel across our shared border. Both our countries know the importance of working together to limit the spread of the virus to ensure that commerce that supports our economy keeps flowing,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said at a White House press conference Friday afternoon.

The U.S. agreement mirrors one announced earlier this week with Canada. Both plans will take effect at midnight. The southern border, which runs up against Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California, is the busiest border in the world.

“Neither of these agreements with Canada or Mexico apply to lawful trade or commerce. Essential commercial activities will not be impacted. We will continue to maintain a strong and secure economy supply chain across our borders,” said acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf.

Wolf said since the first travel restriction was imposed in late January, Customs and Border Protection officers have screened 200,000 people from the affected countries at air, land, and sea ports of entry.