Metro crash anniversary reopens wounds, calls for safety

Published June 23, 2010 4:00am ET



Hundreds of victims’ family members, local officials and Metro workers returned to the Fort Totten Metro station on Tuesday to mark the one-year anniversary of the transit agency’s worst crash.

Under a white tent, they shared memories of the nine people killed in last year’s deadly Red Line train wreck, held a moment of silence and unveiled a plaque in their honor. A slew of politicians continually repeated how the crash that injured dozens should reinvigorate and renew the push to improve the beleaguered transit system.

“Metro must be reborn,” said D.C. congressional Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton. “We must make Metro so safe, we can once again say we are proud of the system.”

Family and friends of the fallen wore T-shirts decorated with loved ones’ names and buttons showing their photos. Some wore hospital scrubs en route to their jobs, while others donned funeral black in the 90-plus-degree heat. They spoke of voids that had not been filled and pain that remained fresh. Many cried when a Metro employee reached the chorus of a tribute song, belting out, “Did you ever know that you’re my hero?”

 

The June 22, 2009, Metro crash victims  
»  Mary “Mandy” Doolittle
»  Veronica DuBose
»  Ana Fernandez
»  Dennis Hawkins
»  Lavonda “Nikki” King
»  Jeanice McMillan
»  Ann Wherley
»  David Wherley Jr.
»  Cameron Williams

Stephanie Foster, a family friend of victim Cameron Williams, said she was surprised that Metro had raised the tent and provided them with cold water bottles and flowers. “I hope for continuing improvements from Metro,” she said. “It’s a beautiful system. It’s one of the classiest in the nation.”

 

But others noted that though the event was well-done and welcome, not all of Metro’s actions have been. Tawanda Brown, mother of Lavonda “Nikki” King, said Tuesday’s event was a fine showpiece from the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. “It looks good,” Brown said. “But it doesn’t suffice for the 12 months we haven’t heard from WMATA.”

She said she met with interim General Manager Richard Sarles for the first time on Monday, calling it “a little too late.”

Kenneth Hawkins, whose brother Dennis was killed en route to teach Bible school, went further, saying Metro was showing “cynicism and blatant contempt” for victims’ families by filing a petition to dismiss the lawsuits of eight families just before the anniversary.

“What we are looking for is justice,” he said.

Metro spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein called the court filing “a routine step in such a lawsuit,” saying it was only to dismiss part of the cases. “Even if granted, this would not deprive anyone of their day in court or their right to a jury trial,” she said.

Brown said attorneys representing the families of all the deceased except for the train operator’s family spent the morning in court filing motions opposing Metro’s latest court filing.

“What a way to celebrate the anniversary,” Brown said.

[email protected]