If there were any doubts Paul Manafort is running Donald Trump’s campaign, the latest hire should put them to rest. Politico first reported Monday evening the Trump campaign has hired Republican pollster Tony Fabrizio, a veteran of several successful campaigns including Florida governor Rick Scott’s run in 2010 and Kentucky governor Matt Bevin’s in 2015.
Fabrizio and Manafort have been associated for two decades going back to Bob Dole’s 1996 presidential bid. Then as now, Manafort was the Republican nominee’s convention manager, while Fabrizio was the lead pollster for Dole. Roger Stone, a longtime ally of Manafort who resigned from the Trump campaign last year but remains influential, gave his old friend credit for the Fabrizio hire on Twitter:
Congratulations to @realDonaldTrump and @PaulManafort for recruiting @TonyFabrizioGOP – the best pollster in the GOP
— Roger Stone (@RogerJStoneJr) May 17, 2016
Scott Reed, the political director at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, was the campaign manager for Dole in 1996 and praised the hiring of Fabrizio. “Tony is a very smart pollster who looks around corners,” Reed told THE WEEKLY STANDARD. “He does not just read numbers, but tells you how to make them move. Trump made a strong choice.”
The hire also seems like pure Manafort, and not just because of his past connections to Fabrizio. Washington Republican insiders have suggested Manafort’s role in the Trump campaign is to bring in professional expertise to what had recently been a two-man operation of Trump and campaign manager Corey Lewandowski:
Read more about Manafort here.
Update: On Twitter, Roger Stone says he resigned from the Trump campaign and was not fired:
#MichaelWarren @weeklystandard resigned wasn’t fired https://t.co/p7GlwNmY7N
— Roger Stone (@RogerJStoneJr) May 17, 2016
The post has been updated to reflect this.

