President Donald Trump and Gov. Wes Moore (D-MD) are trading blame over one of the largest sewage spills in U.S. history — a rupture of a major wastewater pipeline that dumped raw sewage into the Potomac River.
Trump posted to Truth Social on Monday, calling the ecological disaster “a result of the Gross Mismanagement of Local Democrat Leaders, particularly, Governor Wes Moore, of Maryland.”
The president also said in his post that federal authorities, including the Federal Emergency Management Agency, were being directed to step in to “provide all necessary Management, Direction, and Coordination to protect the Potomac, the Water Supply in the Capital Region, and our treasured National Resources in our Nation’s Capital City.”
Moore’s office responded sharply, disputing the president’s characterization, saying the federal government is responsible for the inceptor, and condemning the Trump administration’s actions after the incident.
“The President has his facts wrong — again. Since the last century, the federal government has been responsible for the Potomac Interceptor, which is the origin of the sewage leak,” Ammar Moussa, spokesman for Moore, told the Washington Examiner. “Apparently the Trump administration hadn’t gotten the memo that they’re actually supposed to be in charge here.”
As Trump is sending FEMA aid to help resolve the wastewater contamination, Moore’s office said Maryland is willing to work collaboratively, though it noted the delay in response and the political nature of the president’s comments.
“Maryland officials were on site within hours of the leak to do our part to coordinate the response, and ensure the public was aware and protected. If the federal government is just now showing up to take action, we will work collaboratively—as we always do—to be responsive,” Moussa said. “The Potomac isn’t a talking point, and the people of the region deserve serious leadership that meets the moment.”
However, a White House official told the Washington Examiner that Maryland bears primary regulatory responsibility for the Potomac River waters within its borders and failed to adequately coordinate with federal entities after a ruptured sewer line operated by DC Water spilled near federal land. The official also accused the state of lacking a “real, meaningful spill prevention plan” and of not ensuring aging infrastructure installed in the 1970s remained serviceable amid growing demand. Citing a 2025 report card from the American Society of Civil Engineers that gave Maryland’s water infrastructure a near-failing grade, the official said the state has shown “no concern” that its systems are nearing or past the end of their service life.
The incident began Jan. 19, when a section of the aging Potomac Interceptor sewer line collapsed in Cabin John, Maryland. The break has released an estimated 200 million gallons of untreated sewage into the river, prompting authorities to warn against recreational water contact.
DC Water, the utility that operates the Potomac Interceptor, has publicly acknowledged its role and cooperation with federal regulators and said that crews have installed bypass pumps and are working on emergency repairs while coordinating with the Environmental Protection Agency.
DC Water said the spill did not have a major impact on the quality of local drinking water, but it discouraged residents from using the Potomac River. Authorities are most concerned about the risk of E. coli bacteria contaminating the river. Those fears are heightened as the temperatures in the Washington, D.C., area rise this month, threatening to thaw previously frozen bacteria and increase contamination.
TRUMP DEPLOYING FEMA TO ‘PROTECT’ POTOMAC AFTER SEWAGE SPILL, BLAMING DEMOCRATIC LEADERS
The dispute between Trump and Moore comes amid already strained relations. Moore confirmed last week that he will not attend the annual bipartisan National Governors Association dinner at the White House after being excluded from the invitation list. Trump publicly defended the decision, saying certain governors were “not worthy” of attending. He also excluded Gov. Jared Polis (D-CO).
The Washington Examiner reached out to the White House for comment.
