North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr isn’t worried about the handful of Republican lawmakers who still oppose their party’s presumptive presidential nominee, Donald Trump.
“There’s plenty of time for unity to be found,” Burr said during an interview Thursday.
Recommended Stories
The Republican senator, who’s being challenged for reelection by former Democratic state Rep. Deborah Ross, said the current division within his party doesn’t concern him. He suggested it’s unlikely the GOP will continue to struggle with “party unity” between now and the November election.
Burr, who’s repeatedly been tied to Trump by his Democratic challenger in North Carolina, also said he would welcome the billionaire to campaign in North Carolina during the general election and would happily join him on the trail should he do so.
“I’ve supported Donald Trump. I’ll campaign with Donald Trump in North Carolina,” he said. “I’m supportive of his presidency and I believe what America needs is new leadership. We don’t need a third term of Barack Obama.”
Burr’s confidence in his party’s ability to unify behind Trump comes as House Speaker Paul Ryan continues to withhold an endorsement of the de facto GOP nominee.
Ryan told CNN in early May he wasn’t quite ready to back the billionaire and declined to endorse Trump after the two met behind closed doors in Washington last week.
