Actress Felicity Huffman pleads guilty in college admissions scandal

Published May 13, 2019 10:25pm ET



Actress Felicity Huffman pleaded guilty on Monday for her role in a scheme in which she illegally spent $15,000 to help get her daughter into college.

The 56-year-old “Desperate Housewives” star was in tears as she admitted to the felony charge in Boston. Coaches, business executives, and celebrities including actress Lori Loughlin were among those charged in the wide-ranging scheme.

Huffman admitted to paying a fixer to change answers on her daughter’s SAT test to raise her score so she could get into college.

Last month, Huffman released an apology statement accepting responsibility for her actions. “This transgression toward her and the public I will carry for the rest of my life. My desire to help my daughter is no excuse to break the law or engage in dishonesty,” she said.

Prosecutors said they would recommend Huffman receive a four-month prison sentence with a $20,000 fine and 12 months of supervised release. Huffman could have been sentenced to as many as 20 years in prison if she received the maximum penalty for the conspiracy charge.

Huffman will be sentenced on Sept. 13.

[Opinion: A silver lining of the college admissions scandal]