SAN ANTONIO (AP) — The San Antonio police chief has dropped a proposal to criminalize giving food or money to panhandlers within certain parts of the city.
Chief William McManus announced he wouldn’t pursue the anti-panhandling measure at a city committee meeting on Wednesday. He tells KSAT-TV he abandoned the plan because it doesn’t have enough support within the council.
It’s already illegal in the city to ask for money near places including crosswalks, bus stops and ATMs. McManus floated a plan last month that would make giving to panhandlers a Class C misdemeanor. He said aggressive panhandlers sometimes spit on windshields or cause drivers to run red lights.
McManus says he will instead focus on a public awareness campaign to help curb panhandling.
