Two suspects dead after three killed in shooting at San Diego Islamic center

Published May 18, 2026 3:34pm ET | Updated May 18, 2026 5:58pm ET



Two of the suspects involved in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego are dead from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, and three others were killed, according to police. 

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said two suspects were found dead in a car near the mosque. They were teenagers aged 17 and 19, Wahl said. 

Police said three additional people were shot. One victim was a security guard; details on the other two victims were not immediately available, other than that they were adults.

The San Diego Police Department responded to an active shooting at the Islamic center on Monday around noon, according to reports. Police said there is no ongoing threat. 

Officers arrived on the scene within four minutes after the shooting was called in around 11:43 a.m., Wahl said. 

Wahl said a landscaper nearby was shot at but was not harmed.

Nearby schools were evacuated as police set up a perimeter, according to FOX 5 KUSI. The schoolchildren, teachers, and staff from the nearby schools are safe, according to a video released by Imam Taha Hassane, director of the Islamic Center of San Diego.

“The entire school is safe. All the kids, all the staff, and the teachers are safe, out of the Islamic Center,” Hassane said. “There is no threat at this moment.”

Wahl reiterated that those in the school are safe.

President Donald Trump was asked about the shooting during a separate event, calling it a “terrible situation” and noting a briefing would be held later but offered no further details.

“I am aware of the active shooter situation at the Islamic Center of San Diego in Clairemont and am continuing to receive updates from law enforcement,” San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said in an X post when the shooting was first reported. “Emergency personnel are on scene and actively working to protect the community and secure the area.”

The San Diego Police Department advised residents to avoid the area near the 7000 block of Eckstrom Avenue, noting the scene was contained to 7050 Eckstrom Ave., the Islamic center’s address.

JUDGE CLEARS GUN AND DIARY FOR USE AS EVIDENCE IN LUIGI MANGIONE TRIAL

There was a heavy police and SWAT presence reported outside the center, as well as San Diego Fire-Rescue and medical crews. Nearby schools were evacuated as police set up a perimeter, according to Fox 5 KUSI.

Gov. Gavin Newsom’s (D-CA) office said he had been briefed “on an evolving situation in Clairemont community of San Diego, near the Islamic Center.” He added that the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services is working with local law enforcement.

This is a developing story and will be updated.