The Trump administration reportedly plans to increase the number of South African refugees allowed into the United States by 10,000 in the coming months.
In a Monday report submitted to Congress, first reported by CNN, the State Department proposed lifting the 7,500 refugee cap to 17,500, with the additional 10,000 spots reserved for Afrikaners, a group of white South Africans who descend from Dutch settlers.
Recommended Stories
The Trump administration argued in the report that “unforeseen developments in South Africa created an emergency refugee situation.”
“This escalating hostility heightens the risks to Afrikaners in South Africa, who are already subject to far-reaching government-sponsored race-based discrimination,” the refugee proposal said.
The State Department said the additional refugees will cost roughly $100 million, according to the report. The administration is required to consult Congress about refugee levels each fiscal year. Administration officials are set to meet with Congress regarding these changes later this week, according to the Associated Press.
Trump dramatically lowered the number of refugees from the Biden administration’s 2024 cap of 125,000 to 7,500. Most of the refugee slots under the Trump administration were reserved for Afrikaners and other South African minorities before the proposed increase.
Trump has long argued that Afrikaners face racial persecution, but South African officials strongly disagree. In February 2025, Trump released a statement highlighting the supposed “egregious actions” of South Africa, alleging that the government seized ethnic minority Afrikaners’ agricultural property without compensation.
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has denied the Trump administration’s claims, saying that they stem from “white supremacy and white victimhood.”
TRUMP ADMINISTRATION LETS RUSSIAN SEABORNE OIL SANCTIONS EXPIRE
The State Department also condemned the South African government last year, claiming that it detained U.S. officials who were providing aid to Afrikaners and publicly released their passport information as a form of “harassment.”
