White House brushes off Clinton’s Keystone warning

The White House gave no indication Friday that it would accelerate its decision-making on the Keystone XL pipeline after Hillary Clinton put Obama on notice that she will unveil her position on the project soon.

“There is an ongoing process at the State Department,” presidential press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters at his daily briefing when asked about Clinton’s comments.

“I would acknowledge that the consideration of this project has taken longer than previous projects,” he added, blaming the delay on litigation from those affected by the pipeline.

For more on when the review might be completed of the multi-billion dollar pipeline that would stretch from Canada to the Gulf Coast, he referred reporters to the State Department.

Clinton Thursday said she is “putting the White House on notice” and will make her position known on the pipeline project “soon.” She has previously said she would not announce her support or opposition to the project until after winning the presidential campaign and being sworn into office.

“I have been waiting for this administration to make a decision. I thought I owed them that,” Clinton said during a town hall meeting at the Concord Boys and Girls Club in New Hampshire. “I can’t wait too much longer. I am putting the White House on notice. I am going to tell you what I think soon.”

Related Content