Redskins back where they began: Just like in preseason, starting QB unknown

Just like in preseason, starting QB unknown

 

ASHBURN — The Redskins are right back where they were at the end of the preseason: waiting to find out who their quarterback will be. Not much has changed, either. It’s between the same players. It deals with the same issues.

This was the question in early September: Do they turn to Rex Grossman, who turns it over too much? Or do they go with John Beck, who is a mystery with no starts since 2007?

The same question exists this week. And coach Mike Shanahan doesn’t yet have the answer. He said he likely will announce it after practice Wednesday.

Note
» Jammal Brown earned two Pro Bowl berths as a left tackle in New Orleans. He might get the chance to play there again in Washington now that Trent Williams is sidelined with a high ankle sprain. It likely depends on how much time Williams will miss. The Redskins weren’t sure Monday how long he would be out. Brown has not worked at left tackle since taking some practice snaps last season. Sean Locklear will play whichever side Brown doesn’t. Locklear replaced Williams on Sunday. “I’m probably a little bit behind; Sean’s been practicing there,” Brown said. “If that’s how it shuffles out, it’s not like I’ve never done it before.” Meanwhile, Will Montgomery is expected to continue at left guard for the injured Kory Lichtensteiger, with Erik Cook starting at center. Suddenly, a line whose strength was continuity is now in flux. There could be four players starting at new spots Sunday vs. Carolina. At a minimum, there will be three changes Sunday. “It’s not ideal, but it’s been done before,” Montgomery said. “Last year the Tennessee game we were able to do it.”

He benched Grossman for the fourth quarter Sunday of the 20-13 loss to Philadelphia.

“I have two guys that I believe in,” Shanahan said. “I told you that from day one. Both guys I am hoping are going to be here for a long time.”

Grossman has turned the ball over 18 times in his eight starts with Washington, including 11 in five starts this season. He threw four interceptions Sunday. In 46 career games, Grossman has thrown 49 interceptions. Grossman has had interceptions that can be blamed on others this season; he also has had potential interceptions dropped.

“Sometimes you get a little lucky, and other times it goes the other way,” Shanahan said. “Usually, over the long run, it averages out.

“A lot has to do with your supporting cast. You have to make a decision. Is it just the quarterback? Is it the offensive line? Is it your wide receivers? Is it decision making? There are a lot of factors.”

Beck completed eight of 15 passes for 117 yards and ran for a touchdown in relief Sunday. Beck called his play “rusty,” which Shanahan agreed with.

“The one thing that he was was prepared,” Shanahan said.

“He came in real confident,” tackle Jammal Brown said. “Guys were down. Anytime you turn the ball over it takes the air out of you. When John came in running around, doing what he does, it felt really good. It’s always a big difference anytime you’ve got a mobile quarterback. He can make things happen with his feet and give guys time for coverage to break down.”

The players, as is custom, said they would back whatever decision is made. But receiver Santana Moss was more forceful in his backing of Grossman, with whom he shares an agent (Drew Rosenhaus).

Moss said Grossman deserves another chance.

“That’s something that shouldn’t even be asked,” Moss said. “I feel for the flow of the game yesterday [the benching] worked. It got a spark by bringing [John] Beck in. But you can’t give up on a guy because he had a bad outing.”

Moss said others had to make more plays to help Grossman; that hasn’t happened enough as he has thrown six touchdown passes. His passer rating of 66.5 ranks only above Indianapolis’ Kerry Collins, who no longer is starting. Grossman is tied with Carolina’s Cam Newton with an NFL-high nine interceptions. And his 6.86 yards an attempt are 22nd in the NFL.

“Yes, he threw the ball,” Moss said. “Yes, he’s the guy that will get blamed. But we have to make better plays for him so he won’t have to deal with this type of stuff. … You don’t want to be given up on like that as a player.”

[email protected]

Related Content