Redskins receiving a boost of confidence

Published June 7, 2010 4:00am ET



His resume is a bit thin. His confidence is not. And it stems from changes in the coaching staff, philosophy and talent.

It’s why Redskins third-year receiver Devin Thomas, with 40 catches in his first two years, senses a breakout year (at least one former teammate disagrees, but it’s June; every player is optimistic).

“I see that definitely happening and really proving why I could have been picked in the first round,” he said.

Part of the reason is a new offensive scheme that, the Redskins hope, will provide better protection for quarterback Donovan McNabb.

“We have a lot of play-action, a lot of things deep, a lot of double moves — 10 times more than [last year],” Thomas said. “Our play-action passes will be deadly.”

If that’s the case, he’ll get deep-ball chances.

“That’s what I do,” he said. “I look forward to seeing a lot of that.”

Redskins fans do, too. But Thomas needs to make sure his confidence isn’t just a spring mirage.