White House adviser Kellyanne Conway predicted Wednesday that the new House Democratic majority won’t have much leeway to investigate the Trump administration because their own voters won’t stand for it.
“They’ll do what they have to do, but at their own peril,” Conway told Fox News.
“Where is the appetite in some of these swing districts that Democrats narrowly won last night, where their voters are saying, ‘Look, you screwed up last year in not voting for this tax cut that has been historic and stimulated an economic boom that’s unprecedented under President Trump … you voted against that, and now, all you’re voting to do is investigate and subpoena?'” she said.
“So they have to be held to account.”
[More: Trump threatens Senate investigations into Democrats: ‘Two can play that game!’]
Conway said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., spoke to President Trump by phone after Democrats took back the House, but said she didn’t make any mention of investigating Trump.
Conway said Democrats will likely have to choose between trying to work with Trump, and attacking him through various investigations.
“I think what we’re about to see is a tale of two Democratic Parties here on Capitol Hill behind me,” she said. “On the one hand, ‘We want to work, we want to unify, we want to engage with the White House,’ and on the other hand, subpoenas and investigations.”
