Investigators are compiling evidence for a criminal case against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, in light of mounting allegations that Weinstein sexually abused women over the course of 40 years.

New York City police Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said Friday the department had met with “Boardwalk Empire” actress Paz de la Huerta and her allegations are "credible," after she told Vanity Fair in a piece published Thursday that Weinstein had raped her twice.

“The ability to articulate each and every minute of the crime, where she was, where they met, where this happened and what he did,” Boyce said, is what made de la Huerta’s story credible, according to the Associated Press.

De la Huerta told CBS she was first raped by Weinstein in October 2010 and a second time in December 2010. The first time he had allegedly taken her home from a party and demanded to have a drink in her apartment prior to raping her. Weinstein also allegedly came to her apartment in December after she had been drinking and was not in a state to give consent.

“If this person was still in New York, and it was recent, we’d go right away and make the arrest,” Boyce said at a police briefing. “No doubt. But we’re talking about a 7-year-old case. And we have to move forward gathering evidence first.”

Two people have corroborated parts of de la Huerta's account and people in the case have been subpoenaed, Boyce said.

Weinstein reportedly left the U.S. last month to seek rehab in Europe, TMZ reported.

Investigators could pursue an arrest warrant and if they obtained a court order. Alternatively, they could seek an indictment by releasing evidence to prosecutors to put the allegations to a grand jury.

The flurry of accusations against Harvey Weinstein began last month when the New York Times reported on multiple settlements Weinstein reached with multiple women.