Activists claim more than 2,500 companies have stopped advertising on Breitbart

Published August 21, 2017 7:25pm ET



An activist group campaigning against the pro-Trump Breitbart News said it has pressured nearly 2,600 companies into withdrawing their advertisements from the website.

“Climbing towards 2,600 advertisers down now,” the group Sleeping Giants said Sunday night on Twitter.

A New York Times profile on Breitbart published last week counted the tally at the time to be about 2,500, and the site’s editor-in-chief Alex Marlow acknowledged the boycott.

“It’s a fight,” he told the Times. “That’s all I can really say.”

Breitbart has long been known for publishing controversial content and actively pressuring Republicans to take harder line positions against immigration and government spending.

Former White House senior adviser Steve Bannon returned to the site as its top executive after leaving his role in the administration last week.

The Sleeping Giant group describes itself on social media as “dedicated to stopping racist, sexist, anti-Semitic and homophobic news sites by stopping their ad dollars.”