Donald Trump surrogate Chris Christie said Thursday the Republican nominee has not asked him to assist with debate prep for his next showdown against Hillary Clinton, following reports suggesting Trump’s campaign had been considering him for the job.
“I have not been asked to do anything new, and as far as I know, there is no new debate prep scheduled,” the New Jersey governor told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “Nothing’s been asked of me to do more. If there is, I’d certainly have that conversation with Donald Trump at the time, but I’m not going to presuppose anything at this point.”
Trump’s advisers have mulled over employing new faces to help the conservative politician improve his message, tone and body language. The New Jersey politician has made a name for himself by boldly attacking others in the Republican primary debates.
Campaign manager Kellyanne Conway later told CNN that Christie is “not currently under consideration” to assist Trump.
