Trump chides Syria pullout critics as ‘fake news,’ ‘failed Generals’

President Trump said Monday he is fulfilling a campaign promise by pulling U.S. troops from Syria.

The president claims critics of the decision are “failed Generals” who were unable to get troops out of Syria before he took office.

“I campaigned on getting out of Syria and other places,” Trump tweeted. “Now when I start getting out the Fake News Media, or some failed Generals who were unable to do the job before I arrived, like to complain about me & my tactics, which are working. Just doing what I said I was going to do!”

[Related: Lindsey Graham: I ‘feel a lot better’ about Syria pullout after lunch with Trump]


Earlier this month, Trump, against the advice of top advisers, announced that troops would be sent home from Syria. He claimed victory over the Islamic State and said U.S. troop presence is no longer needed in that area.

Trump also said earlier in December other countries should take over the U.S. position of policing the region.

Although there has been widespread backlash for his decision to pull troops from Syria, Trump says the jabs come from either the “fake news media” or “failed Generals.”

“If anybody but Donald Trump did what I did in Syria, which was an ISIS loaded mess when I became President, they would be a national hero,” Trump said in another tweet. “ISIS is mostly gone, we’re slowly sending our troops back home to be with their families, while at the same time fighting ISIS remnants.”


“Except the results are FAR BETTER than I ever said they were going to be! I campaigned against the NEVER ENDING WARS, remember!”

Related Content