A member of Vice President Mike Pence’s staff tested positive for the coronavirus, according to his press secretary.
“This evening we were notified that a member of the Office of the Vice President tested positive for the Coronavirus. Neither President Trump nor Vice President Pence had close contact with the individual. Further contact tracing is being conducted in accordance with CDC guidelines,” Katie Miller said in a statement Friday.
Pence said Monday he had not yet been tested for the coronavirus, citing guidance from the White House physician.
“I’ve not been tested yet,” the vice president told reporters at the White House daily briefing on the coronavirus. “I’m in regular consultation with the White House physician and he said I’ve not been exposed to anyone for any period of time who has the coronavirus.”
Pence said neither he nor his wife, Karen, had symptoms but were regularly checking their temperatures.
Earlier in March, the vice president was at the Conservative Political Action Conference, where one attendee later tested positive for the virus. The man did not interact with President Trump or Pence, but was in close proximity with multiple lawmakers who self-quarantined out of precaution.
Pence was also at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort while a Brazilian delegation was visiting. Fabio Wajngarten, a press secretary to President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, tested positive days after the Mar-a-Lago visit. While there, Wajngarten posed for a photo with Trump and Pence.

