Trump says there are no talks between US and Iran

Published August 18, 2026 10:29am ET | Updated August 18, 2026 10:29am ET



President Donald Trump shot down any indication that the United States is negotiating with Iran after the 60-day memorandum of understanding expired this week.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” the president wrote Tuesday on Truth Social. “The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated.”

The memorandum of understanding with Iran was initially signed in June at the Palace of Versailles in France, as Trump was wrapping up his attendance at the G7 summit. The agreement was meant to “instantly reopen” the Strait of Hormuz and“immediately lift” the U.S. naval blockade on all Iranian vessels.

But the 60-day deadline passed without either side agreeing on how to end the Iran war that began on Feb. 28.

On Monday, Trump signaled that no extension of the agreement would occur, although the ceasefire had already fallen apart between the two sides.

“Look, we’re in there for one reason: Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon, you understand that?” Trump told reporters while speaking in the Oval Office. “Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon, and they won’t have a nuclear weapon.”

He also told Fox News yesterday he has “no time schedule” and is “not in a hurry” to negotiate with Iran.

“They should put up the white flag of surrender,” Trump added about Tehran.

TRUMP POSTS MAP SHOWING STRAIT OF HORMUZ AS US TERRITORY

Tehran has remained in control of the Strait of Hormuz, which has driven up global gas and oil prices. But Trump had a dire warning for nations interfering with reopening the Strait of Hormuz, the vital shipping channel that connects the Persian Gulf to the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea.

The president claimed that “if Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the s*** out of them,” while speaking with Fox News.