The Pentagon announced it had reduced its number of European brigades to 2021 levels but stressed it will maintain a “strong” presence in Poland despite a delayed troop deployment there.
The Trump administration had been hinting at a drawdown of U.S. forces in Europe after most NATO allies failed to aid the U.S. war with Iran. Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell announced on Tuesday that the United States had decreased the number of brigade combat teams from four to three, which was the U.S. posture until an additional one was deployed in response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Recommended Stories
“This decision was the result of a comprehensive, multilayered process focused on U.S. force posture in Europe. This is resulting in a temporary delay of the deployment of U.S. forces to Poland, which is a model U.S. ally,” Parnell said.
“The Department will determine the final disposition of these and other U.S. forces in Europe based on further analysis of U.S. strategic and operational requirements, as well as our allies’ own ability to contribute forces toward Europe’s defense,” he continued, saying the analysis was meant to advance President Donald Trump’s agenda and incentivize Europe to take up more of the cost of its defense.
“Secretary Hegseth spoke with Polish Deputy Prime Minister Kosiniak-Kamysz earlier today, and the Department will remain in close contact with our Polish counterparts as this analysis proceeds, including to ensure that the United States retains a strong military presence in Poland. Poland has shown both the ability and resolve to defend itself. Other NATO allies should follow suit,” Parnell concluded.
MERZ SAYS HE WOULD ‘NOT RECOMMEND’ HIS KIDS TO MOVE TO US
For a dozen years prior to 2021, the number of U.S. troops in Europe was largely unchanged. Since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022, the number of troops has fluctuated.
Trump’s feud with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz appeared to be the catalyst for the drawdown in U.S. forces, though the matter was under consideration since the beginning of the war with Iran. Merz made several insulting remarks towards the U.S., including that Iran was “humiliating” Washington. The U.S. quickly announced the withdrawal of 5,000 troops from Germany soon after.
