Esper defends potential troop pullback from Africa, says China and Russia are mission No. 1

Published January 23, 2020 11:57am ET



NO DECISION ON AFRICA PULLBACK: Defense Secretary Mark Esper is defending his review of roughly 7,000 U.S. troops deployed to various counterterrorism missions in Africa, saying no decisions have been made, while confirming he wants to shift resources away from far flung missions to focus more on what’s called “Great Power” competition with Russia and China.

“I said for my nomination, my aim was to implement the National Defense Strategy. Everybody knows what that is, everybody should know largely what that looks like,” Esper told reporters traveling with him to Florida. “Mission number one is compete with Russia and China. So that’s one of the things that I’ll be looking at for sure.”

CONGRESSIONAL HEARTBURN: The review, first disclosed by the New York Times last month, has sparked bipartisan concern that the Pentagon will abandon efforts that not only are keeping terrorists on their back foot, but also are helping to contain Russia and China, including a newly-constructed U.S. drone airbase near Agadez, Niger.

“These personnel and installations are critical in combating the ever-increasing number of violent extremist groups throughout the region that pose an immediate threat to our partners and allies in the region. In fact, there are at least a dozen terror groups with ties to either the Islamic State or al Qaeda operating in Africa,” Sens. Lindsey Graham, a Republican and Chris Coons, a Democrat wrote to Esper last week.

“A withdrawal from the continent would also certainly embolden both Russia and China,” they argue. “The retention of forces within the AFRICOM area of responsibility serves as a check against the growing presence of near-peer competitors like China and Russia who continue to expand their influence across the continent.”

A PROMISE TO CONSULT: Esper downplayed the fears of lawmakers, and said he plans to fully brief Congress before making any moves. “Everything you do has some type of folks questioning and having concerns,” he said. “We haven’t talked to them yet in detail about what we’re looking at. Frankly, no decisions have been made.”

“I think they’re just expressing their concern, which I appreciate,” Esper added. “As we work our way through this process, we will consult and let them know what’s going on. I hope we meet with chairs and rankings next week, in fact, just discuss the broad array of issues that I’m looking at right now.”

PROTECT THE HOMELAND: Esper insisted he will not end missions that would put the U.S. at greater risk of terrorist attack from abroad. “One metric I’ve laid out is, is I want to make sure, as we look at counterterrorism, that I, first and foremost, am addressing threats to the homeland. That’s my first priority,” he said.

Good Thursday morning and welcome to Jamie McIntyre’s Daily on Defense, written and compiled by Washington Examiner National Security Senior Writer Jamie McIntyre (@jamiejmcintyre) and edited by Susan Katz Keating (@SKatzKeating). Email here with tips, suggestions, calendar items, and anything else. Sign up or read current and back issues at DailyonDefense.com. If signing up doesn’t work, shoot us an email and we’ll add you to our list. And be sure to follow us on Twitter: @dailyondefense

Subscribe today to the Washington Examiner magazine and get Washington Briefing: politics and policy stories that will keep you up to date with what’s going on in Washington. SUBSCRIBE NOW: Just $1.00 an issue!

HAPPENING TODAY: The Heritage Foundation and the HBCU Working Group are hosting an all-day forum, in what they say is a “first-of-its kind nonpartisan” effort to promote STEM and ROTC programs at the nation’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities.

Among the speakers at today’s event are Wayne Frederick, president of Howard University; Marshall Williams, principal deputy assistant secretary of the Army, Manpower and Reserve Affairs; Makola Abdullah, president, Virginia State University; Retired Gen. Carter Ham, president and CEO, Association of the United States Army, and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. Agenda at http://www9.heritage.org

ESPER READY TO DRAWDOWN IN AFGHANISTAN: The Pentagon has been hinting for months that it’s just waiting for the political situation to stabilize in Afghanistan before pulling as many as 4,400 U.S. troops out of the NATO-led Resolute Support mission that supports the Afghan military as it battles the Taliban.

“We’ll continue those missions,” Esper told reporters yesterday, but added “I am convinced — because I’ve talked to commanders, I’ve visited there — that we can accomplish those missions at lower force levels.”

Esper declined to give exact numbers, but said the U.S. currently has between 12,000 and 13,000 troops in Afghanistan. Asked how low he might go, Esper replied, “You’ve heard that 8,600 number out there, that’s one number that we’ve talked about. But I’m confident we can go to that number and not affect our mission.”

MEANWHILE IN IRAQ: At a meeting with Iraqi President Barham Salih at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland yesterday, President Trump was being cagey when asked if the U.S. might be ready to withdraw its remaining troops from Iraq.

“We’ll see what happens,” he said during a photo op with Salih. “We’re down to a very low number. We’re down to 5,000. So we’re down to a very low number, historically low,” he said, “and we’ve been there for quite a while. So we’ll make a determination.”

The Iraqi parliament voted on Jan. 5 to disinvite U.S. forces, after the drone strike that killed Iranian Revolutionary Guard commander Gen. Qassem Soleimani sparked protests in Iraq.

Iraq’s caretaker Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi, who initially requested the U.S. send a team to work out details of a withdrawal, now says he will leave any formal exit request to the next Iraqi government.

NOT SO BAD: President Trump raised a few eyebrows in Davos when he offered an explanation for why he announced there were no U.S. casualties from an Iranian missile strike just hours after the attack in Iraq, when it turned out later that more than a dozen troops suffered concussions.

“I heard that they had headaches, and a couple of other things. But I would say, and I can report it is not very serious. Not very serious,” Trump said.

“So you don’t consider a potential traumatic brain injury serious?” a reporter asked.

“They told me about it numerous days later,” Trump replied. “No, I don’t consider them very serious injuries, relative to other injuries that I’ve seen. I’ve seen what Iran has done with their roadside bombs to our troops. I’ve seen people with no legs and with no arms. I’ve seen people that were horribly, horribly injured in that area, that war — in fact, many cases put — those bombs put there by Soleimani, who is no longer with us. I consider them to be really bad injuries. No, I do not consider that to be bad injuries. No.”

A SIGNATURE WOUND OF WAR: The president referred reporters to the Pentagon for information on the severity of the potential brain injuries suffered by U.S. troops in the attack.

An archived fact sheet on the Pentagon’s website calls Traumatic Brain Injury, or TBI, “one of the invisible wounds of war and one of the signature injuries of troops wounded in Afghanistan and Iraq,” noting that 313,816 servicemembers have sustained TBI in training or combat.

ISIS STILL A THREAT IN SYRIA: The deputy commander of the U.S.-led counter ISIS coalition is warning that ISIS could still make a comeback in Syria.

“They have the potential to resurge if we take pressure off of them for too long a period of time,” Air Force Maj. Gen. Alex Grynkewich told reporters at the Pentagon yesterday afternoon. “I don’t think there’s an immediate threat of an immediate resurgence. But the more time we take pressure off them, the more that threat will continue to grow.”

SHIITE MILITIAS BIGGER THREAT IN IRAQ: At an event earlier in the day hosted by the Air Force Association’s Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies, Grynkewich said in neighboring Iraq most attacks on U.S. and allied forces being carried out by Shiite militias, not ISIS, according to Task & Purpose.

“In the time that I have been in Iraq, we’ve taken a couple of casualties from ISIS fighting on the ground, but most of the attacks have come from those Shia militia groups, who are launching rockets at our bases and frankly just trying to kill someone to make a point,” Grynkewich said.

INDUSTRY WATCH: It’s gut check time. Defense contractors will begin reporting fourth quarter results next week. Here’s a rundown:

Lockheed Martin will webcast live its fourth quarter and full year 2019 earnings results in a conference call on Tuesday, Jan. 28, at 11 a.m. EST. Marillyn Hewson, chairman, president and chief executive officer; Ken Possenriede, executive vice president and chief financial officer; and Greg Gardner, vice president of investor relations will provide updates on key topics and answer questions. The results will be published just prior to the market opening.

General Dynamics will webcast its fourth quarter and full-year 2019 financial results in a conference call on Wednesday, Jan. 29, at 9 a.m. EST.

Boeing releases financial results for the fourth quarter of 2019 on Wednesday, Jan. 29 at 10:30 a.m. in a conference call with President and CEO David Calhoun and Chief Financial Officer Greg Smith.

Raytheon will issue its 2019 fourth quarter and full-year earnings in a news release posted on its website at 7 a.m. EST Thursday, Jan. 30, followed by a conference call audiocast on at www.raytheon.com/ir. Charts to be referenced during the call will be available on the website for printing prior to the call.

The Rundown

Washington Examiner: US likely to deploy missile defense system in Iraq after Iranian attack

Washington Examiner: Iran commander working to suppress protests gunned down in front of home

Reuters: Successor To Slain Iran General Faces Same Fate If He Kills Americans: Hook

Reuters: Militia Ally Of Iran’s Soleimani Shot Dead In Southwest Iran: IRNA

AP: Why US troop cuts in Africa would cause alarm

Washington Examiner: Not your mother’s care package: This charity sends military equipment to US troops overseas

Washington Examiner: Trump cagey about possible US troop pullout as he meets with Iraqi president at Davos

Washington Examiner: Trump on why he said no US troops were hurt after Iran retaliated: ‘I don’t consider that to be bad injuries’

Breaking Defense: 355 Ships? Acting Navy Secretary Readies To Defend Tight Budget

AP: Saudi crown prince’s WhatsApp linked to Bezos phone hack

New York Times: Crown Prince’s Motive? To Mute Criticism by The Post, U.N. Experts Suggest

Washington Post: Flynn seeks probation if guilty plea withdrawal is rejected

AP: Putin’s constitutional proposals OK’d in first Duma reading

Reuters: China’s Secrecy On Nuclear Arms A ‘Threat To Stability’, U.S. Says, Urging Beijing To Join Talks With Russia

Business Insider: The U.S. Is Going After Venezuela Over Aircraft It Says Endangered U.S. Military Planes

Calendar

THURSDAY | JANUARY 23

10 a.m. 2201 C St. N.W. — James Jeffrey, special representative for Syria engagement and special envoy for the global coalition to defeat ISIS at the State Department, holds a briefing to provide an update on Syria and the ongoing campaign to defeat ISIS. Livestream at https://www.state.gov

12:30 p.m. 1050 Connecticut Ave. N.W. — Arab Gulf States Institute in Washington discussion on “Strategic Implications of Iraq’s Multiple Crises,” with former U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Douglas Silliman, president of AGSIW; Feisal Amin Rasoul al-Istrabadi, nonresident fellow at AGSIW and former ambassador and deputy permanent representative of Iraq to the UN; Randa Slim, senior fellow and director of the Conflict Resolution and Track II Dialogues Program at the Middle East Institute; and Hussein Ibish, AGSIW senior resident scholar. Livestream at https://agsiw.org/programs

12:30 p.m. 1111 19th St. N.W. — Washington Institute for Near East Policy discussion on “The New Status Quo in Northeast Syria: Humanitarian and Security Implications,” with Gonul Tol, founding director of the Middle East Institute’s Turkish Studies Program; Wladimir van Wilgenburg, co-author of “The Kurds of Northern Syria: Governance, Diversity and Conflicts”; and Dana Stroul, fellow at WINEP. https://www.washingtoninstitute.org

4 p.m. Bushnell, Florida — Secretary of State Mike Pompeo delivers remarks on U.S. foreign policy at the Sumter County Fairgrounds. https://www.state.gov

FRIDAY | JANUARY 24

8 a.m. 2101 Wilson Blvd., Arl. — National Defense Industrial Association discussion with Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly on priorities for the department. https://www.ndia.org/events

9:00 a.m. 1616 Rhode Island Ave. N.W. — Center for Strategic and International Studies Global Security Forum “Emerging Technologies Governance,” featuring a keynote address from Defense Secretary Mark Esper and discussion with Kathleen Hicks, CSIS senior vice president. Also with Samuel Brannen, CSIS; Gabrielle Burrell, minister counsellor defense policy, Embassy of Australia; Andrew Hunter, CSIS; Jason Matheny, former director, intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity; Suzanne Spaulding, CSIS; and Brig Gen. Benjamin Watson, vice chief of naval research and commander Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory. Live streamed at https://www.csis.org/events/global-security-forum

9 a.m. 1301 K St. N.W. — Washington Post Live book discussion on “A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump’s Testing of America,” with co-authors Philip Rucker, Post White House bureau chief and Carol Leonnig, Post national investigative reporter. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-live

12 p.m. 2300 N St. N.W. — Aspen Institute discussion on “The Struggle for Power: U.S.-China Relations in the 21st Century.” with former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice; Kathleen Hicks, senior vice president, chair and director of the Center for Strategic and International Studies’ International Security Program; Anja Manuel, co-founder and principal at RiceHadleyGatesManuel LLC; Kurt Campbell, chairman and CEO of the Asia Group; and Mike Pillsbury, American director of the Hudson Institute’s Center on Chinese Strategy. https://www.aspeninstitute.org/events

MONDAY | JANUARY 27

10:30 a.m. 1177 15th St. N.W. — Center for a New American Security “Fireside Chat” with Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein, moderated by Susanna Blume, senior fellow and director, CNAS Defense Program. https://www.eventbrite.com

TUESDAY | JANUARY 28

10 a.m. Rayburn 2118 — House Armed Services Committee hearing: “Security Update on the Korean Peninsula,” with John Rood, undersecretary of defense for policy and Lt. Gen. David Allvin, joint staff director for strategy, plans and policy. https://armedservices.house.gov/hearings

11 a.m. Lockheed Martin webcasts fourth quarter and full year 2019 earnings results conference call, with Marillyn Hewson, chairman, president and chief executive officer; Ken Possenriede, executive vice president and chief financial officer; and Greg Gardner, vice president of investor relations. https://news.lockheedmartin.com

2 p.m. 529 14th St. N.W. — Arms Control Association event “The Case for Extending New START,” with retired Lt. Gen. Jack Weinstein, former Air Force deputy chief of staff for strategic deterrence and nuclear integration; Rep. Jeff Fortenberry, R-Neb.; Madelyn Creedon, former principal deputy administrator, National Nuclear Security Administration, Department of Energy; Kori Schake, director of foreign and defense policy studies, American Enterprise Institute; and Alexander Vershbow, former U.S. ambassador to Russia and NATO deputy secretary general. Register at https://docs.google.com/forms

WEDNESDAY | JANUARY 29

9 a.m. — General Dynamics webcasts fourth quarter and full-year 2019 financial results conference. https://www.gd.com

10:30 a.m. — The Boeing Company releases financial results for the fourth quarter of 2019 in a conference call with President and CEO David Calhoun and Chief Financial Officer and Executive Vice President of Enterprise Performance & Strategy Greg Smith. Webcast at http://event.on24.com

11:30 a.m. 1667 K St. N.W. — Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessment discussion of new report, “Taking Back the Seas: Transforming the U.S. Surface Fleet for Decision-Centric Warfare,” with Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly. https://files.constantcontact.com

THURSDAY | JANUARY 30

7 a.m. — Raytheon Company releases 2019 fourth quarter and full-year results on its website, followed by a conference call at 9 a.m. Jan. 30, 2020. Audiocast www.raytheon.com/ir.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“If it’s well known, then you wouldn’t need to ask me.”

Defense Secretary Mark Esper’s response to a reporter who asked, “Why are you so hesitant to disclose how many troops are in Afghanistan? I thought that’s kind of like a well-known thing.”