DOJ charges 17 with cyber theft on behalf of Iranian government

Published August 18, 2026 5:21pm ET | Updated August 18, 2026 5:21pm ET



The Department of Justice charged 17 Iranians on Tuesday for allegedly carrying out a “massive” cyber theft campaign on behalf of Iran that targeted hundreds of universities, companies, government agencies, and nongovernmental organizations around the world.

According to an indictment unsealed Tuesday, members of the Iran-based Mabna Institute have conducted coordinated cyber intrusions since at least 2013, targeting 144 U.S. universities and 178 foreign universities, as well as at least 42 U.S. private-sector companies, 11 foreign companies, five U.S. federal and state government agencies, and two NGOs.

The hackers allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of academic data and intellectual property from universities, as well as emails and other information from employees at private companies, government agencies, and NGOs.

Prosecutors said many of the intrusions were conducted on behalf of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, which is responsible in part for gathering intelligence, as well as for other Iranian government and university clients.

Nine of the 17 defendants had been charged in a seven-count indictment announced by the DOJ in March 2018.

“Coordinated cyber intrusions like those allegedly carried out by the 17 members of the Mabna Institute represent a serious threat to our national security,” FBI Assistant Director in Charge James C. Barnacle Jr. said in a statement.

“Their campaign stole vast amounts of intellectual property and sensitive information, reinforcing the FBI’s commitment to confront this activity head-on,” Barnacle added. “Backed by the IRGC, this operation reflects a broader, organized effort to target U.S. institutions and global partners.”

Several of the defendants allegedly targeted private companies and government entities through password-spraying attacks, unauthorized access to computer systems, and data theft. Prosecutors said those intrusions resulted in more than $20 million in costs for victims to investigate and remediate the attacks.

JOHNSON LAUNCHES WEBSITE TO TEACH YOUNG VOTERS ABOUT SOCIALISM AND COMMUNISM AHEAD OF MIDTERM ELECTIONS

“Today’s charges show that neither sophistication nor geographic boundaries will deter us from protecting the national security of our country from those who target the United States from abroad,” U.S. Attorney Jamie McDonald said.

Another defendant, Amir Barati, allegedly helped track the progress of spear-phishing campaigns, exchanged login credentials for compromised accounts with other co-conspirators, created targeting lists, conducted network reconnaissance, and crafted spear-phishing messages.