Year s biggest men s event going to go smoke-free?

Published November 1, 2007 4:00am ET



Stogie patrol  

Washington’s richest, most successful men are finding out next week that the D.C. Council’s nanny-ish decision to ban smoking in all indoor business applies even to them.

For the first time in its 18 years, the roughly 2,500 well-heeled men who attend the children’s charity fundraiser known as Fight Night may not be ogling the model-waitresses and watching the professional boxing matches through a haze of cigar smoke.

Getty Images

Tom McMillen, the former pro basketball player and Democratic congressman from Maryland who attends every year, said, “There are three components to the event — cigars, the waitresses and the boxing. So we’re down to two out of three.”

An event spokeswoman said the idea of erecting a cigar tent was bandied about earlier this year, but ultimately nixed.

Some regular attendees have also been wondering aloud whether the organization should just smoke anyway and pay the inevitable fine to the city.

But the spokeswoman assured us they’re still pursuing legal remedies, and they expect a decision today.

A message on the charity’s Web site states that it has requested a waiver from the D.C. Department of Health but has yet to receive an answer. Without a waiver, attendees will have to content themselves with the cigars, cutters and matches in their gift bags that can be enjoyed “outside or at home.”

We wonder how many members of the D.C. Council will show up and risk an earful from one of the stogie-loving guys in attendance.